Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C: Get your Character on.

A little-known secret, even to my closest friends:

This morning, at precisely 5:45am, I began writing my novel.

I'll admit, I'm a three-time-Nano-dropout.  Chris Baty and the gang could probably write a book based off the excuses I've come up with each year in order not to finish.  Things like, "November sucks.  The pacing of my novel sucks.  My idea sucks.  This bagel sucks."

Or, the ever-important "bathroom break," where I hide for three hours so as not have to face the disgusting jumble of mishmash I just spent the last two hours trying to get down on my computer, standing in the corner near the towels playing Angry Birds on my phone.

I can't Nano.  It's just not my style.  I've tried it--three times I've tried it--but the intensity and the pressure of the whole thing just doesn't work for me.  The problem, My Problem, isn't that Nano doesn't work for me.  My Problem lies in the fact that I have let the idea of National Novel Writing Month turn me into an "all or nothing" writer and that, my true writing friends, is where the failure comes in.

Mid-November, when I shut the lid on my laptop for the final time and walk away, I begin strategizing for next year's Nano.  "Next year, I'll make an outline.  Next year, I'll slow things down a bit.  Next year, I'll wake up even earlier.  Next year, I pinky-swear I will not get on Facebook."

So there becomes a void, the chasm I've created, in which I promise that I'll simply fix everything next year.  In the meantime, I spend the next roughly 365 non-leap-year days in suspended procrastination.  I call it "planning."  I call it "revising my strategy."

It boils down to "I'm not doing shit along the lines of a novel, thanks for asking."

All that has changed.

Rather than reliving the frenzy associated with November, I spoke yesterday with a friend regarding pacing.  Pacing seems to be the subset of writing that gives me the greatest concern.  I still haven't reread the hodgepodge I so-delicately sloughed from grey matter to keystroke during last year's regal attempt, but I do remember having some concerned moments where I would be thinking, "Goodness gracious," except that's not really the term I conjured at the time, "I'm 27,000 words in and nothing has happened yet!  They aren't doing anything!"  This can be a rather frightful realization.  Talking about needing to get to the point:  I was sitting at my workstation while The Point was off on some Pacific Island getaway.  The Point was more elusive than the Jersey Devil.

I was searching for The Point, or even its second cousin, The Action, but they were no where to be found.

I stood yesterday under a covered awning, discussing writing with my all-time mentor and amicus in scripto as a new name was brought to light:  John Dufrense.  Not a new name for my former Creative Writing professor, but a new name to me.

As I rushed home to my Nook Color, my handy credit card billing information stored safely within the confines of its little Nook walls, I began the planning stages of My New Novel.  Oh yes, I imagined myself sitting at my workstation (this is the glamorous interpretation:  in real life, I slouch over my laptop a la Quasimodo), steam rising from the coffee cup within reach of my left hand (another interpretation, as my coffee does not "steam" considering I get by on reheating yesterday's leftovers), cigarette dangling from my lip (this is true), pounding away at the ol' non-ivories.  I imagine my characters suddenly coming to life, revealing previously unknown tidbits about their lives, all while I'm following along from the plush confines of my "I-bought-it-at-Target" grey fluffy bathrobe.  Oh, in my mind's eye I'm gloriously laboring over the "tick tick tick" of the keyboard...

And then I read ol' John Dufrense's advice.

I'm not sure where John Dufrense lives in relation to my house, but it feels like he just kicked me in the head and took off running faster than I can catch him.

But he's right.  From my Nook to your ears, John Dufrense wants me to start slow.  He wants me to write my novel, oh yes indeed he does, but he wants me to write my novel in six months.

"Six months?" I holler to no one in particular.  "Six months?  Well shit, Mister Dufrense," (and I say it all snobby like that), "why don't I just go ahead and plan a vacation or something?  If you give me six months to write my novel, I guarantee I'm going to use the first month finishing my hardwood floors and baseboards.  The second month you can look for me outside the perimeter of the fence line, rehammering those pesky boards that have started to come loose.  Around month three, Mr. Fancypants, I'll be caulking the panels in Aidan's room, getting ready to paint.  Grab a brush, John.  You can help me out.  You do know how to cut in, don't you?"

Mr. Dufrense just stood there all akimbo, his French eyes waiting for me to shut up.

It was a Mexican stand-off right there in my bedroom.  For every excuse I shot at John Dufrense, he just stood there, taking it.  It felt like me against Sparta:  I could sense John Dufrense and his band of writers increasing the tension of their bowstrings, on the cusp of releasing those arrows that would eventually block out the sun.

Or, in last night's case, the lamp on the nightstand.

So I stood there, John Dufrense and I, and finally I ran out of things to say.  I picked the Nook up again and I started doing everything that John Dufrense told me to do.  I sulked about it for a while, mumbling about how I just wanted to write, I didn't want to do any of this stupid planning, but ol' Dufrense just gave me that shifty Dufrense smile, put his hand on my head, tousling my hair, and walked away.

This morning, I woke to the sound of the alarm after giving myself two extra "snoozes."  I picked up my notebook, came out to the porch, and began getting to know my characters.

I'm finding them pretty interesting.   :-)

Much love,
Cherstin

10 comments:

  1. I know all about suspended procrastination; I've touched my manuscript once in the past year and a half. I've taken plenty of notes on what I want to add and/or change, but that's it. However, from now on when someone asks how my writing's going, I'll just say I'm utilizing the triple-Dufresne method. Genius.

    Also, if you do attempt NaNo again, do it on your own terms. My first time, I strove to write something longer than my longest piece to date, and got 17k words. The following year I tried to beat that, and hit 20k. Both times, it felt like a victory to me. But in the meantime, enjoy meeting your characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate,

      Thank you for the reply. The whole A to Z Challenge thing has really shoved me in the right direction. I'm so happy to be a participant. You know what the truth of it is? I've come across so many blogs during these three days, and the people are actual writers. Published. They've done it. They started something and they completed it.

      I'm amazed at how many people have actually done this, and disappointed that I'm not yet one of them. I'm tired of "wanting" to write. Today is the day I change my life. :)

      Best of luck to you, A to Z friend. I've got some characters to build.

      Ciao!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your new novel. For me, if I say I'm giving myself six months to write a novel, I know I won't. I find a million other things to do, and then there will be one or two months left. Also, I find that an outline keeps me on track. Otherwise, I'd be all over the place. ~~ I recently completed a novella. I thought it would be a novel, but 27,500 words is all I had to say/write. So I'm not knocking myself for not getting to 50,000 words. (Plus padding a novella just to make it a novel is stupid. Every word must count.) I'm happy with my novella, and I've decided to focus on those, rather than a full-length. They won't be in print (not long enough), but that's okay. Ebooks are all the rage, and print is dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jolie! And congratulations for setting out and FINISHING. That's the important part. There is nothing worse than trying to pad a book to meet some person's idea of what a novel SHOULD BE. They don't know what YOUR novel should be.

      I appreciate your kind words. I'm realizing that the timing of November seems to be no less busy in April, but I feel good about it this time. Wishing you well in all your future endeavors! I'll be checking in to see what you're up to over on your space o' the web.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic post. I'm mildly jealous that you got to wake up and start a new novel, whilst I'm slogging through the mid-zone of my current w.i.p. But I think you've hit on exactly the point. It doesn't matter if you take a month, or six months or a year. (please don't take six years: we need your book!) What matters is that you keep writing. If you put down words every day, you will get to the end sooner than you can possibly imagine.
    Nano taught me how to finish, but that was only my first problem. The next book taught me how to finish better, and so on. Book four taught me to plan...who knows what book ten will teach me.
    We all have different processes and different things to learn, and we ALL have stared at that 20K or 30K manuscript and screamed, OMG NOTHING is HAPPENING!
    It's why we must talk to one another, so that we don't assume we are the only one gasping like a fish out of water and wondering where our plot has gotten off to.
    Glad to have found your blog as well.
    Happy A to Z to everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Frances! I am humbled, and I do sleep well in the knowledge that I still have a lot to learn--we all do. I'd held REAL AUTHORS on a pedestal for so long that I think I've been afraid to try. "Real writers," I'd think. There was such a reverence to what they'd been able to accomplish. I'm finally seeing that "real writers" are real people just like me. They still do their own laundry. They still grocery shop. They still have to figure out how to organize their day, only they make sure that "write something today" is always on their list of things to do. :)

    My professor said, "Please don't tell me you're writing for fame. Never write for fame."

    I confided back in him, "I'm not writing for fame: I'm writing before someone else comes up with my idea." ;)

    Looking forward to reading more of your honest-to-goodness advice, Frances! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm not writing for fame: I'm writing before someone else comes up with my idea."

    That should be on a T-shirt! I think it just might be a universal truth. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Good luck with you new project! I know it always seems so daunting and your writing always seems to be lacking something or other but be patience and have faith in yourself. It is only a first draft. There will be a fourth and a fifth and as many as you want until you feel your story is ready to be shared with the world.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog.
    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing it, you're starting. That's what counts. Good luck and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete