Friday, September 27, 2013

Where the rubber meets the road.

We all know what they say about "best-laid plans," and regardless of which translation you prefer, it all boils down to the same in the end.

Needless to say, I did not wake up early and write.  Instead, I was treated to a fever and a sore throat and missed today's classes.  Eek.

I read an interesting article earlier and it has my wheels turning.  It was posted by a fellow Google+ user and it discussed the benefits of the Pomodoro technique.  In a nutshell, the technique is designed to increase productivity by resetting the rhythms of the body:  productivity is said to increase when the user works (or writes) for a strict 25-minute interval followed by a five-minute break.

Rinse and repeat.

There is a book that goes with it, and probably some other jazz, too, but I don't know if a book is really necessary - unless, perhaps, you happen to be fascinated with science and whatnot.  (I'm not even sure if science is included in the book, so don't quote me on that.  I just can't figure out what one would need a book for in this instance.)

If you're interested in giving it a try, as I know I am, there is a free Chrome extension called Strict Workflow that can be downloaded and configured for a 25/5 cycle.  I downloaded it and I think I'll give it a try in the morning.

Of course, we all know how that goes.

In other news, I successfully removed Google+ comments from my Blogger account today, so those who wish to comment will no longer be dragged through hot coals and forced to set up a Google+ account in order to drop some feedback on my posts.  I hope you'll take advantage of all the hard work I put into it, and please give me some feedback and let me know how the comment process works!  Hopefully it will be much easier and much more user-friendly.  Since I dumped my Facebook account, I have still had high traffic to the blog, but no interaction.  It gets sort of lonely over on this side of the interwebs - I know you're there, but I don't know much else.

I also was able to start the merge between my two Google+ accounts, and I'm not even sure when or why the split took place.  I thought it odd that my Google+ account didn't look the same when I came back to it a few days ago:  I wondered in which bush my old friends were hiding.  Today I realized the problem when I came across another Cherstin Holtzman.  Of course, Google+ recommended she and I should be friends.

Good on ya, Google+.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Her Google+ account was way cooler than mine - and she had all the friends I remembered having!  Imagine that.  Traitorous slime.

Apparently there is a seven day waiting period for the accounts to merge.  (If you need help with this, let me know.  I consider myself a Google Transfer Ninja Master after today's exploits.)  I'm not sure what's going to happen in seven days when new account and old account collide.  A paradigm shift?  Black hole?  Rip in the fabric of time?

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, just keep swimming.

Errr...writing.

(Sorry - Disney's Bolt has given way to Finding Nemo recently.  I quote both.)

Cherstin, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment