Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Tale of Two Cities. Or Blogs.

I'm no blog expert, but I know what I like, and I am an expert in what I like.

Usually.

Unless this is the first time we're picking out a paint color, in which case let's just throw this gallon away right now.

I tend to veer toward blogs about writing (as a craft) as opposed to parenting blogs, even though I am a parent.  Whether it's the fact that my parenting skills are superb and second-to-none, or because I don't want to read about another toddler's grocery store meltdown when I'm already living through my own, I just don't do the whole parenting/mommy blog thing.  My music tastes aren't very innovative and I don't watch much tv, so I don't follow music or entertainment blogs, but one thing I do believe is that there ought to be a variety in a "blog about writing," or "an author's blog," or whatever your niche happens to be.

When I'm kind of pissed off, I blog.  If something gets under my skin, I blog.  If I'm feeling overwhelmingly sentimental to a time when I was young and thought I knew it all, I blog.  But I don't have a separate blog:  it's all here.  You're looking at it right now.

Is it a juvenile and/or unprofessional line of thought that my blog is a representation of me, regardless of how well my next book sells?  I mean, people can Google me and find out my stats and bio.  There are myriad blogs done much more professionally than this who also spit out information about writing, short stories, mathematics as a genre, whatever floats your boat, so why would I limit myself to compete solely with people who have written "how to" manuals on writing, for crying out loud?

Look.  If you are here reading this, you're here.  You're not going to get a lot of hoity-toity practical how to lists, or "Ten Things You Should Know About Florida's Healthcare Laws."  (Yawn.)  What you're going to get is a whole lot of unfiltered me, and if you're okay with that, you're in the right place.

The reason behind this whole "let me think out loud" blog-venture today spawned out of my decision this afternoon to register my own domain name.  Who knew something so simple could become such a complicated thought-process?  I did it with the intention of simply redirecting any traffic to this blog, but then I started wondering if my personal domain name should offer something more--oh, I don't know--professional?  (I'm trying to say that with a straight face.)

But why two blogs?  Is there some secret, alternate me that only a select few people should know of?  If so, why isn't she cleaning the house?  And also if so, why would I need a blog just for those handful(s) of people?  They can just pick up the phone and call.  They can even swing on over, should they be in the neighborhood.  They can even lie and tell me they were in the neighborhood.  Maybe I'd whip up some grilled cheese sandwiches while we sit and discuss what we'd do if we won the lottery, or how that tree would look so much better in the front yard.  We'd probably have a few cigarettes, too.  Maintaining two blogs seems like a lot of work, and what about the imagined dichotomy?  Would it be a faux pas to discuss one in front of the other?

Nope.

Like the saying goes, "Wherever you are, there you are," so I'm staying.  Professional me, meet real-life slacker me.   Now, go fold laundry or something.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?  Nachos?

Til then,
Cherstin.

No comments:

Post a Comment