Thursday, June 11, 2009

On what may eventually be a quick side-note, I'm back for a little bit of a late-night scoop. I never dreamed I'd be blogging about my incubating bantam eggs but today is day 19, just hours away from day 20, and the eggs have started to peep. I am so excited that I don't really know what to do. My four-year-old son is already asleep and since I've read that the actual hatching process can take a full day (and that's once they start to make it out of the shell), there's certainly no reason to rush right out and tell the neighbors. However, that doesn't mean I'm any less celebratory. I've already called my mom, my best friend (who lives an hour away), and posted it to Facebook. Now the world will know.

It was a tough decision to attempt chickens; we're certainly no farmers, my son and I. We live on a half-acre which is zoned residential but, to our liking, we are one of only two houses on the 1/4 mile road. I don't think anyone will mind the noise from three (hopefully!) bantam sultans. We've got our fingers crossed that there are no roosters in this batch. What are the odds, really?! I think they're in our favor.

About an hour ago, I heard the eggs/chickens peep for the first time. I thought it was an outside animal scratching on a window of the house; it sounded like short little "screeching" sounds. By the time I put two and two together and checked the incubator, two of the three eggs had started rolling. I couldn't believe my eyes! I didn't imagine them rolling at all. I didn't remember reading that in the research I did prior to getting the eggs and incubator. It's awesome!

I'll be back to update you in the morning; sooner if need be. Goodnight and wish us luck! Egg number three hasn't started rolling yet. (Just heard peeps again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment