Saturday, November 17, 2012

Geocaching.

Today, we are going geocaching.

It's something I heard about a few years ago.  I was pregnant with Caleb, shopping at the outlet mall up in Ellenton, when the cashier asked me where I was from.  I told her I'd driven up from North Port to go shopping for my husband's Christmas party.  (Read:  I needed a maternity dress that didn't make me look like a Christmas tree, which I had no luck finding anywhere in town.)

She exclaimed, "Oh!  North Port!  We just did some geocaching there."

Some what?  It sounded sort of illegal, but she also stated it in such a matter-of-fact tone that I figured I should know what this is.

"Geocaching.  Right on."  (I'm pretty sure that was my reply.)

Wondering what there actually was to do in this town besides "Be Pregnant," I looked it up online when I arrived home with my new dress.

In layman's terms, Geocaching is an outdoor activity involving GPS coordinates and a hidden box full of trinkets.  It's a treasure hunt, of sorts.  You pack some supplies, find the box, take something out and replace it with something of equal value, sign the log book, log your find at the Geocaching website, and be on your merry way.

Fast-forward to last night:  a backyard campfire, S'mores, some stories about the Myakka Skunk Ape, and we are ready to get out there and Geocache.  I'm excited.  Aidan is excited.  Caleb is still asleep.  (Par for the course.  He only gets excited about breakfast, lunch, and dinner.)

As much as I love my children, I'm tired of being the only parent on the weekends.  No more "waiting around" for dad to get home:  we're doing our own fun shit.  And we're doing it outdoors.  No more cleaning, sweeping, mopping, laundry.  We're getting out, we're getting dirty, and we're not coming home until naptime.   :-)

Have you heard of Geocaching?  Given it a try?  Any tips for us noobs?  I'll post an update later, hopefully with some pics of our first treasure.  Have a great Saturday, all.

Cherstin




No comments:

Post a Comment